Newest Creations and Classroom Preparation

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about my classroom and how I will have students in just 20 short days and I can’t even get into the school yet! AHHHHH!:)So I’ve been doing little things here and there. My newest creations are the absent student folders…

Absent Student Folders

During my first year of teaching (6th grade Social Studies and Reading), my mentor teacher used a lot of Kagan strategies and one of the many things she gave me was a copy of a “We Missed You” sheet. I loved it so much that I used it all the time. During my second year of teaching (4th grade) I kind of forgot about that awesome “We Missed You” sheet and only used folders to keep up with assignments during the day while they were gone.

This year is a combination of the two. I made a very cute We Missed You sheet that you can download for FREE here. Why? Because I love y’all!

AbsentFolders

I also opened up a Teacher’s pay Teacher’s shop for those of you who weren’t already aware! I have two things available, Classroom Jobs Chart and Common Core Standards Posters. I haven’t really posted much about the standards posters but I most of the ones that other teachers were selling have kids and pictures on them and I want simple and no distractions. Then I thought, maybe other teachers out there want the same? So if you are interested you can go here to check out those items!

I finished laminating and cutting my schedule signs. Aren’t they SO cute!

ScheduleCards

I got these from Ladybugs Teacher Files. Kristen is AMAZING! She even customized them for me (for extra $$ of course!) and they now match my theme. I LOVE them so much!

I’m trying not to pay too close attention to the calendar but my baby girl turns 1 tomorrow. New teacher training starts in a week. Students in my classroom in 21 days. Oh my. Oh my.

TiffanyJuly 12, 2012 - 8:44 pm

Question for you – do you laminate, then cut? Or do you cut, laminate, cut?

KaitlinJuly 16, 2012 - 5:03 pm

These are just TOO CUTE! What a great idea!

Shannon BowmanJuly 16, 2012 - 5:15 pm

Cut then Laminate :)

ChrissyJuly 30, 2012 - 1:00 am

Thanks for sharing the absentee file printable! :-) I will definitely use this idea!
ReadWriteSing

Jennifer DAugust 6, 2012 - 10:40 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the adorable idea! I can’t wait to use this.

AnonymousAugust 9, 2012 - 11:57 pm

I can not open the absentee folder and I love it…. Is there any way you can email it to me at heathershoe@hotmail.com

JessicaAugust 10, 2012 - 1:48 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

This Little TeacherAugust 10, 2012 - 1:49 am

What a great idea for absentees!!! I love this. I struggled at the end of last year trying to figure out WHAT would work for this and I love this idea. :)

AnonymousAugust 14, 2012 - 11:56 am

Just wondering how you made the absentee folders. It looks like you used more than one file folder. There seems to be multiple pockets. Please explain. Thanks in advance. Love the idea!!

Karen BAugust 15, 2012 - 1:04 am

How many folders did you use? There seems to be three tabs. Instructions on how to make would be beneficial.

leigh mAugust 15, 2012 - 6:04 pm

Hi and thanks for the “We Missed You” folder. I am curious as to what absentee ally is???

KatieAugust 17, 2012 - 10:12 am

I do what Shannon said! :)It holds better.

KatieAugust 17, 2012 - 10:12 am

Thanks Kaitlin!

AnonymousAugust 19, 2012 - 7:26 pm

Great idea, thank you! I am also curious about Absentee Ally…

Jess-a-RooAugust 26, 2012 - 5:32 pm

I don’t think she used more than one file folder – looks like it’s a center tab file…

KatieAugust 26, 2012 - 6:08 pm

Thanks Jess! I have emailed these people back individually to let them know but thanks for clarifying! Yes, these are just file folders where the tab could be at the top, center, or bottom. I just purchased a pack. It is not multiple folders. Just one file folder. :) My kids do a great job keeping up with the folder for the absent person next to them. The absentee ally helps them with their work when they return. :)

MichelleFebruary 9, 2013 - 7:57 pm

These are incredibly cute. I saw them on Pinterest and needed a closer look! Where do you buy your folders? I adore that color!
This is my first visit to your blog – it looks great!

KatieFebruary 9, 2013 - 8:38 pm

Thanks Michelle! I bought the folders at Office Depot! I’ve never seen the folders in fun colors like that except there! Thanks for stopping by! Maybe I’ll get back into blogging when I find time! :)

PattiMarch 9, 2013 - 2:54 pm

I love your “we missed you” folder. I have been struggling with organizing when students are absent. It is so time consuming writing what was done for the day and homework. What do you put in the folder? Is it all the handouts? Any suggestions are welcome…I need to change how I do it now.

KatieMarch 12, 2013 - 7:51 am

I have one person at each table/group that keeps up with the folder for their friend that is absent. They just put assignments in there and then the helper lets them know what to do or they come ask me. :) I don’t do much work with it. I felt like when I taught 6th grade that I had to write down more specifics and page numbers in text books, etc. It was AWFUL. It’s not as bad with 3rd graders. :)

EllenJuly 6, 2013 - 11:56 pm

I use laminated folders like this, but I have a chart on the front where I can record assignments missed with a wet erase marker and put it on my desk to wait for the returned work. I record assignment, due date and notes. It is nice because we do a lot of book work that doesn’t have handouts and my students are great about grabbing blank folders when a seat mate is absent.

KatieJuly 10, 2013 - 9:46 am

Thanks for sharing Ellen! Great way to keep up with all that missing work!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *