Audrey Mayne is here!!


I’m going to post the whole story (including TMI moments) so that I have it documented so that it will be in a blog book one day! (It’s going to be long!)
So Monday was an average day, nothing unusual. In fact, I hung out with my mom and we made bows for Audrey. I think I mentioned once that I had a little cramping but nothing that concerned me. Monday night Hank was working a DWI arrest that didn’t allow him home until close to midnight. I woke up when he got home and we talked for about 15 minutes and then I went back to sleep.
Around 3:15 am I woke up and went tinkle. (Again, nothing unusual) I got back in bed and within ten minutes I was feeling like I needed to pee again. As I was rolling over to get up to pee again I felt wet, like I tinkled myself. I immediately got up worried but then told myself that it was likely discharge. (Stuff that comes with being pregnant!) I went to pee and felt another gush, but I know that I didn’t actually pee. I sat down and then called out to Hank. I called out once and he kept sleeping and then I called out again, “Hank”. He woke up and I said, “Um, I think my water just broke.” He asked me if I was kidding. I told him no I was not kidding but still wasn’t sure. I got up and waited for more gushing. I went ahead and called Labor and Delivery to talk to them and see what they thought. I was so concerned about dragging Tryp to the hospital to find out that it was just discharge and not really my water that broke.
I decided that I would go to the hospital by myself to get checked and leave Hank at home with Tryp. On the way to the hospital I called my best friend Taylor to let her know what was going on and asked her if she would come stay with Tryp until my mom could get there! I then called my mom and told her what was going on and told her not to head over until I told her it was for sure my water that broke. I got to the hospital at 4:10am and was checked. Yes. It was my water. (I was also dilated to a 2) (Let me remind you, no contractions, no indicators)I wasn’t even ready for this. I mean, I wanted Audrey to come, I was SO eager to meet her but I wasn’t ready YET. I mean I didn’t have a bag packed or anything. So I then called Taylor, she headed to our house. Then I called Mom to tell her to head over from Eureka. Then called Hank to tell him he was going to be a daddy soon and I gave him a play by play of what to pack. {He did a fabulous job, I might add!}
The nurse came in and told me that she was going to call my doctor (Dr. Amy Fry) –Who happened to be on call, thank goodness- to find out what time they wanted to do my c-section. Within a quick 5 minutes the nurse came into tell me that they were going to do it at 6am.
I was going to meet my daughter in an hour and a half!
Hank arrived at the hospital around 5 am.
I started to get nervous between 5 and 6. I think just anticipating what was to come…mainly the spinal –oh yeah, and getting cut open!- A few things happened between 5 and 6, little preparations for the c section. Sure enough, right on the dot at 6, the O.R. team came in to wheel me away. Hank walked with me towards the O.R. where they escorted him into a changing room to put on his “spacesuit”. As they wheeled me they told me that it would be cold and bright. As we entered into the operating room I got really nervous. I started shaking and I was telling the nurses that I didn’t know if it was because I was cold or scared. ha-ha. They assured me that it was both! I was very scared of the spinal but it wasn’t bad at all. The guy who did it was great and told me about the bee sting I would feel and then the pressure. It was over before I knew it and I was laying there getting ready to meet my princess. I did get sick though. I started throwing up which I guess is normal. After my little moment of gross-ness my husband arrived! Within 5-10 minutes Audrey was shown to us over the blue curtain. It made both Hank and I get emotional hearing her cry and getting to see her. {Audrey was born at 6:31 am. Weighing 6 lbs. 2 oz. and 17 3/4 inches long.}Then she was in her daddy’s arms. See below.
Audrey and daddy left the operating room and went to the nursery. It felt like forever that they had to stitch me up but I really loved this O.R. team. They were talking and having conversations like normal people (I know they ARE normal people) but it wasn’t all “surgery” talk while I was laying there. We even chatted about “gleeking”. ha-ha. You know, how people can gleek with their mouths. I don’t know the technical term for this or how we even got started talking about it. Overall it was a great experience.
I then went to recovery. For a whole hour. That was horrid –I wanted to be with my husband and baby- but now that I look back it was a good thing. The spinal was making me loopy feeling. My eyes couldn’t track anything, it was crazy. The nurse kept poking on me to find out how quickly the spinal was wearing off. The overall experience was just “weird”. The anesthesiologist finally said to me that the word of the day was “weird”. (I kept saying during surgery that everything was weird. That felt weird. That looked weird. Oh, that was weird. Eeeew, what a weird feeling.) I later found out that Audrey had to stay in the nursery for six hours so that they could monitor her temperature. Her breathing was great. She was great. Everything was perfect. The pediatrician just wanted to make sure she could hold her temperature at 97.7 and she did it! Here is a picture of our princess coming to our room for the first time. IMG_0163
You can’t see in this picture but she actually had a bruised lip and ear. I guess from how she was positioned inside of me. Who knows. All we know is that she is perfect. …Stay tuned for our days in the hospital…


  1. Oh my goodness!!! I'm so happy for you...she is beautiful :)

  2. Congratulations!! She is beautiful!

  3. Gave me goosebumps reading it!! I still can't believe she's here and that it happened so fast!